How to Easily Print 3×4 Photos on a 4×6 Print

I’ve heard it time and again…How can I print 3×4 photos on a 4×6 print without using Photoshop? All you Project Lifers out there are searching for an easier way to print those pics. I’ve shown you before my process for using PSE to print photo templates but today I’ve got an even easier option for you! Plus it’s FREE. How’s that for awesome sauce?!!

Watch this video to see how you can use PicMonkey to create 3×4 photos on a 4×6 print to use in your Project Life.

Here is how easy this is…

• Go to www.PicMonkey.com
  • Click ‘create a collage’
  • In the left hand menu click ‘layouts’
  • Click “Biggie Smalls” and select the first collage (1 large, 2 small)
  • Change the proportions to 1800 x 1200 (click the lock to remove size restrictions if needed)
  • Click the X to remove one of the small cells. Now you have two 3×4 spots ready for pictures
  • In the left hand menu click ‘images’ and then ‘open photos’
  • Navigate to your photo folders and select your images
  • Drag and drop each image into the appropriate cell
  • Move the image as needed to get the look you want
  • You can save at this point or move into the editor to add text and effects
  • Once your image is saved upload it to your favorite photo printer and print

No need for expensive programs! PicMonkey can do it all! You will be printing those 3×4 photos and adding them to your Project Life in no time!

Monica Signature

PS Want more inspiring ideas for documenting your life? Sign up forΒ inspiration in your inbox!

This entry was posted in Project Life, Tutorials, Video and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted August 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the great tip, will have to try this!

2. Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tip Monica. This will come in handy when printing pics for those smaller mini books.

• Posted August 12, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Glad I could help Cheryl!

• Patty
        Posted August 23, 2016 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Hi Monica-I would like to thank you for these tips. I took so many photos in portrait mode with my i phone and once they were were printed-I realized the mini album I wanted to put them would not work. So, I went online searching for tips and found your tutorial. Your tips are excellent-I tried them immediately. I’m ready to send my collages to CVS for printing! Hooray! They are just as helpful 3 years later :). I’m in the process of hosting a Summer Memories Class using a snapshot album. May I have your permission to use your tips for my class?
        Patty

• Posted September 30, 2016 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Patty! I’m so glad the tips were helpful! I’m fine with you sharing the tips for your class. Have fun scrapping!

3. Posted August 10, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I always use picasa but this seems easier. Thanks Monica. Happy weekend.

4. Ana Balcarcel
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

VERY COOL! Thanks for sharing this simple way of printing 3×4. The possibilities are endless.

• Posted August 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ana! There are so many possibilities with PicMonkey! It’s an awesome program.

5. Cynthia
    Posted August 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I’ve been looking for an easier way to make the smaller photos. Just watched your video & read this article. I tried it out and PicMonkey is so easy to use. I have one question. When the completed 4×6 photo is printed, will there be a white border or will it be borderless?

• Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Cynthia! Sorry for the delayed response! The answer is, it depends. πŸ™‚ There is a border around the photo when you download it from PicMonkey. On my printer if I choose “borderless” option it takes that border away. So if you send it off to be printed the border will likely be there. If you print at home you could get rid of the border by printing borderless or keep the border if you so choose. Hope that helps!

• Becky
      Posted May 7, 2016 at 12:17 am | Permalink

You can actually take the border out of the picture with the editing tool “spacing” under the paint palette icon. Or make the border larger.

6. Karen L K
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Thanks so much that was very helpful! Would you by any chance know how to get two by two photos?

• Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Sure! Instead of doing the “biggie small” layout go to “square deal.” Choose the layout with 9 squares. Delete the bottom 3, then change the ratio to 1800×1200 to get the 4×6. Now each square is 2×2. Hope that helps!

7. Erika Lynn
    Posted November 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Awesome – thank you so much. I absolutely love picmonkey.

8. Posted January 5, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

You can actually get rid of the white border on picmonkey by clicking on the palette icon on the left hand side and making the spacing “0”! πŸ™‚

9. Sherri
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for providing this information! Do you happen to know how to do a 4″x4″ print on a 4″x6″ print? I do not mind cutting off the extra 2″ that will be blank on the print.

• Posted January 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I do not know of an easy way to do this in PicMonkey. If you have access to Photoshop Elements then you can crop the image to 4×4 and then print it on a 4×6. Be sure to set it to print as “actual size” to maintain the 4×4 size. Hope that helps!

10. Posted August 23, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Ah! I’ve been looking for this all day! I KNEW there was a way to use Picmonkey for this! Thank you!!

11. Meagan
    Posted September 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for reminding me about PicMonkey! Ive been wasting nap times trying to figure out how to print my big camera photos as 3×4’s, finally! yay πŸ™‚

12. Jen
    Posted December 21, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

This just saved me A LOT of money and time!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! <3

13. Melissa
    Posted January 18, 2015 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Tried for an entire day to figure it out using picmonkey. I even you tubed it and alas found your blog. It took me 5 mins! and success! THANK YOU!!!!

14. Stacey
    Posted February 5, 2015 at 10:51 am | Permalink

thank you for this tutorial — very helpful! I have a question though. I am new to PL and am feeling overwhelmed! With the Picmonkey tutorial I understand the 1800 x 1200 makes it easy for 3×4 photos, but they are only long, up and down photos (like Design A page protector) whereas Design B are longer side to side — am I rambling? I am SO not a math whiz. Do I just make the dimensions 1200 x 1800 instead? Or am I totally throwing everything off once I print? Also, the 6 x 6 photos on Design E — what are the proportions in Picmonkey? Thanks!

• Posted February 9, 2015 at 10:06 am | Permalink

The 1800×1200 dimensions create a 4×6 photo. If you have two boxes on the 1800×1200 canvas they will be 3×4 each. But if there are more boxes they would be different sizes. If you want 3×4 photos that are long then your ratio would be 1200×1800. A good way to figure proportions is to remember that you need 300 pixels per inch. So multiply 300 by each inch you want in the final photo. So 6×6 would be 1800×1900. Does that help?

• Heidi
      Posted March 30, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

You can also rotate your photos once they are in the two-long-3×4-template by clicking the edit button that pops up when you click each image. Then you will have two horizontal 3-4s.

15. Jerri Grimley
    Posted February 7, 2015 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Hi, I enjoyed your tutorial. When I put the pictures in the collage pic monkey, cuts off the feet of my people. It looks ok when I edit it as a simple 4×6, but when I try to collage the pictures, I either have the feet or the head, but not both. Any suggestions?

• Posted February 9, 2015 at 10:12 am | Permalink

It might be because PicMonkey adds a border around the photo which takes up a bit more of the print. I’m not sure I have a good answer to solve your problem. Typically I would just cut off a bit of the feet in a situation like that. Sorry I’m not more help!

16. Rachael
    Posted April 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Monica- thank you so much for this info. Very helpful! I was wondering if you know how to fit 2X3 photos on a 4X6 print using picmonkey? I can print just 1 photo at a time, but I REALLY don’t want to waste my photo paper! I’ve been sitting here trying to figure it out for a couple of hours now and thought i’d run it by you. Thanks in advance for your help! πŸ™‚

• Posted April 28, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

So glad it was helpful Rachael! You can fit four 2×3 photos on a 4×6 print. So choose a layout with 4 equal boxes. Then change the dimensions to 1200×1800 so that the sections are 2×3. Hope that helps!

• Rachael
        Posted April 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much for the response! Love the blog. Very inspiring!

17. Amber
    Posted July 15, 2015 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! This helps me immensely!

18. Ann-Marie
    Posted August 3, 2015 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Wow! I am a senior and struggle with technology but you made this so easy to follow. Super result, I am delighted. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this tutorial. I’m off to start Project Life for my grandchildren.

19. Christine
    Posted November 7, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Hi! Love your blog! I’m an avid scrapbooker, but lately I’ve been looking for my mojo. We went to Disney for the first time with my 3 year old and I’m just dying to scrap her adventures. I need help! So I did the Disney PhotoPass but it was so expensive!!! Sooooooo I lifted some pictures (not proud of it) but it wasn’t that many, only the photos I missed because my phone died. I printed them and the came out very blurry. I am trying to figure out a way to print them like a 4×6 collage. IDK if I should edit the pics then put them on PicMonkey, not sure what to do but its driving me crazy not scrapping this album!

• Posted November 24, 2015 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

It’s possible that when you lifted some of the pictures the thumbnail you used wasn’t large enough for printing. To be a good 4×6 print your photo needs to be 1200×1800 pixels. You could try editing them first to see if you can get them cleaned up before using PicMonkey. But it’s possible they are just too small. Hope it all works out!

20. Kelly
    Posted December 15, 2015 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I found this tip looking for a way to do 4 2×3 for a class project. You just saved me a ton of money and it’s so easy!!

21. Mariana
    Posted March 17, 2016 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I was having a hard time trying to figure this out, but you made it so simple πŸ™‚

• Posted March 17, 2016 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you found the directions simple to understand! Have fun editing and printing your photos!

22. Rebecca
    Posted April 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I’m trying to do two 3x3s on a 4×6 in picmonkey. (I don’t mind empty space on bottom)
    Do you have any idea how to do this?
    Thanks!

• Posted April 7, 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The problem is that there isn’t an easy way to make sure the measurements of your photos are exact. You can drag a photo into the bottom space and then X it out. That will leave white space at the bottom, but you will have to eyeball the size to make it be about 1 in. Hope that helps!

23. leticia addo
    Posted November 5, 2016 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

This was very helpful, but I don’t understand how you take the borders off. Someone said paint palette, but I do not see that option.

• Posted November 5, 2016 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Glad it was helpful! Let me see if I can help you with the borders part. When you are in the collage editor there are 4 editing options on the left toolbar. When you hover your mouse over them they are called images, layout, swatches and background. You want the one called background (it looks like a paint palette). When you click on that it gives you a slider option called spacing. If you take that to 0 you will have no white border or dividing lines. Hope that helps!

5 Trackbacks