Disney Pressed Pennies Container

It’s been awhile since I shared some Disney projects! (Check out everything Disney on Scrap Inspired) Today I want to share a quick little project I did before we left for our trip. I knew that we wouldn’t be purchasing many souvenirs while at Disney. So I decided to let my boys make pressed pennies throughout our trip.

DSCN3667_2

If you don’t know about pressed pennies there are machines all over the parks. For 51 cents (50 cents plus the penny to press) you can get icons pressed into your penny. There are characters as well as images of favorite rides. Most machines have 3-4 images to choose from. I knew this would be a fun activity for my boys. So I knew we needed an easy way to keep all those quarters and pennies together.

DSCN3665

I saw this adorable idea over at Counting Coconuts and just had to make my own! But first I needed two Mini M&Ms containers. It actually took me awhile to find these. I ended up getting them at Walmart. And of course, then I needed to empty the containers. That didn’t take me long at all. :) Once they were nice and empty I peeled off the wrapper on the container.

Coins Cover

I measured the size of wrapper I needed and then created personalized covers using this adorable Mickey digi kit by Britt-ish Designs. Once they were printed out and trimmed down I was ready to get decorating.

DSCN3666

Which really only required adding strong adhesive to the paper and wrapping it around the containers. How cute are these?

DSCN3668

Then I stacked the coins in side: 2 quarters and a penny. I just repeated that over and over until each container had 25 pennies. That way when it was time to press a penny the boys could quickly pull out exactly how much they needed.

DSCN4637

Here’s a handful of our fun pressed pennies! Aren’t they awesome? I’m so glad we took along enough quarters and pennies to participate in this activity. The boys loved looking for the machines and I loved seeing what designs they picked. So much fun!

DSCN3667_2

Heading to Disney? You’ve got to try this quick and easy craft project and get to pressing pennies!

Monica Signature

This entry was posted in Disney and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. lynne moore
    Posted January 18, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

We love pressed pennies as souveniers. It’s a nice way to let the kids have some control over it. I still collect them sometimes.

• Posted January 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

They are such fun souvenirs! The boys had a blast with them and still love getting them out to look at!

2. Posted January 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Very cool! Great idea! :)

3. Posted January 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

That is an adorable idea! We also love making those special coins! I like to add them as an embellishment to my scrapbook page. The container is such a great way to make it a special part of your Disney trip.

• Posted January 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alice! They boys loved getting out their coins to press pennies! And they loved having their own tube with their name on it. :) It really was a fun part of our trip.

4. Posted January 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

This is so fun! Since these pressed penny things are all over the place, I may do this next time we go anywhere. The boys love collecting them!

• Posted January 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks Heather! I bet your boys would love having their own container for pressed pennies! :)

5. Posted January 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Now that is a super cool idea. You should send it to Disney, never know…

6. Danell
    Posted February 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Monica! I love this idea. So much easier than trying to dig at the bottom of my bag everytime Joshua wants to make a pressed penny. Going to do this for our trip in July.

• Posted February 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

So glad! I know my boys loved using theirs!

7. Stephanie Mitchell
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Super cute idea! Quick question: did the pressed pennies fit back in the M&M tube?

• Posted February 19, 2013 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Thanks Stephanie! They probably could have, but not flat. The pressed pennies are wider than the container so they wouldn’t stack, but could be dropped in sideways. We didn’t put them back in because we had more pennies and quarters to continue making pressed pennies. You could just have a baggie to put the pennies into once they had been pressed. Hope that helps!

8. Louise
    Posted May 25, 2013 at 7:00 am | Permalink

I downloaded the disney page with the Mickey things, do I need a photo editing software to put it all together? (Like you did for the wrappers?) Then print on a regular printer?
    thanks!

• Posted May 25, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Yes, I use Photoshop Elements to put all those things together. And then I printed it on cardstock weight paper with my regular old printer. Hope that helps!

9. Beth
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

What adhesive did you use?

• Posted October 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

The adhesive I used is linked in the supply list at the bottom of the post, but it was just my Scotch ATG. Hope that helps Beth!

One Trackback