December Daily 2012 {Day 4}

I always know that I want to document my boys and their advent calendar sometime during December. My main issue is that they open those things EARLY! Often before my eyes are open. πŸ™‚ Today I happened to wake up before them, so I rushed downstairs with my camera ready for when they got up.

Another little serendipitous moment happened when I pulled this layout together. I love that the main embellishment is a little camera, and that this was a moment I had to work to document with my camera. Just fits. Love that!

One little funny story I’ll share with you, but didn’t add to the journaling. This year, due to Bradford budget cuts, I decided to make my own Lego Advent Calendars rather than shelling out $50 a pop for the pre-made ones. This means that I took one lego set and broke it into 25 steps spread over the month. My oldest got pretty upset this morning because his brother had more steps than he did. Even though on other days he’ll have more to do while his brother only has one or two things, he was only focused on the lack of legos today. πŸ™‚ Since I’m documenting the daily tradition of opening the Lego AdventΒ calendarΒ I chose to focus on the general rather than the specifics of my grumpy son today.

I adapted Ali’s template a little to allow for a long photo across the top (by merging those two triangles). I also added in the white lines between photos. Just feels more finished to me.

I tend to take my photos as landscape rather than portraits. Knowing that each day that I need a full size 6×8 portrait photo means I have to be more conscious about how I take pictures. I’m always thinking about turning my camera at least once and grabbing a portrait shot! Love how this one turned out!

Want to see more of my December Daily? See a complete list of postsΒ here.

This entry was posted in Mini Album and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted December 5, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

It’s so hard to stay one step ahead of them isn’t it? πŸ™‚
    But you snapped some great photos to document it in your DD!

• Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:01 am | Permalink

It sure can be Mary! πŸ™‚ And thanks!

2. Posted December 5, 2012 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Love today! You should do a post of how you created you lego calendar. I love the idea of creating your own.

3. Kris
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

DIY Lego advent! Pure Genius!!! Filing that tidbit away for next year!

• Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink

HaHa Kris! πŸ™‚ It’s been a budget saver.

4. Posted December 5, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Great idea with the Lego calendar πŸ™‚

5. Posted December 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

lego calendars would have been very popular with my boys when they were small too.
    Love your page. Great shots!

• Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Barbara! And what boy doesn’t love legos? πŸ™‚

6. Posted December 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Love this! And major wow for making your own Lego Advent Calendar. I don’t know if I’d have the patience to do that. We’re using the same one we did last year – luckily he doesn’t remember what there was.

• Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

YOU have the patience to make all kinds of crazy fun pop up cards! What’s an advent calendar compared to that?!? πŸ™‚

7. M Bov
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Monica – thank you!! I found your directions for making a LEGO Advent Calendar just in time last week. I was able to pull one together in just a morning, using a freebie Christmas set we got this year. My kids love it!
    One question – how did you ‘break apart’ the instructions? I eneded up color-copying each page so I could cut them as needed without destroying the instructions on the back.
    I, too, scrapbook, and am trying to get a good photo of the Advent Calendar ‘process’ πŸ™‚ Having just one for three kids has created issues, so next year I’ll have to plan for three!

• Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

So glad you were able to pull one together! For my younger son’s calendar (the one I made 2nd) I used one page per day. I starred the step he needed to begin at. Went so much easier than what I did for my older son’s. For his I did what you said and color copied a lot of the pages. I bet you are having issues with three! My boys definitely each need their own. πŸ™‚ Hope everyone has fun with their advent calendars over the next few weeks!

8. Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Your Lego calendar is an awesome idea. I also have to use a 4×6 each day as my highlight photo of the day with AE overlays. So I have to remind myself to take vertical pics

• Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

It’s hard for me to remember some days Laura! πŸ™‚ Just not what I naturally do, but I’m getting there.