DIY Disney Shirts {Magic Kingdom}

I told you last week that my personal brand of crazy went a bit overboard when it came to our Disney trip. I made 20 shirts for our trip (matching shirts for our family of 4 for each day of our trip). (Check out everything Disney on Scrap Inspired) I’m back to share another of our DIY Disney shirts. And quite possibly my favorite of all the shirts I made!!

Use a reverse technique of a Freezer Paper Stencil T Shirt to create Disney shirts of favorite characters. | scrapinspired.com

There are lots of versions of Freezer Paper stencil shirts to be found on the internet. Like this one, this one, and this one, but this one inspired me to try a reverse technique. And while it looks complicated it’s really super simple!

This technique uses Reynolds Freezer Paper to create the stencil. The first step is to find the image you want on your shirt (I use Google search to find mine). I then cut the image on my Cricut, using Sure Cuts A Lot software. If cuting with a Cricut or Silhouette you need to make sure the paper is shiny side up. Which means that you have to flip the image before cutting. You could also print the image, trace it onto your Freezer Paper, and cut it with an exacto knife.

Once the image was cut I peeled up the main design and ironed it onto my shirt (use no steam and the cotton setting). Since there are quite a few thin pieces, be sure to iron the edges down very well.

I used Tulip fabric paint and a foam brush to create my design.

Dabbing your paint on, rather than brushing, helps keep the stencil from peeling up.

Once I had the main part of the face painted I extended the paint out in a square around the face. At the end I pulled the brush through the paint to smooth the strokes out a bit. I used two coats of paint to get a more solid coverage.

Allow the shirts to dry fully (I followed the directions on the bottle of paint) and then begin to slowly peel up the freezer paper stencil. And your shirt is complete!

Love these shirts, and I have a feeling they will get the most use even now that our trip is done!

Supplies (click images for links to products):

This entry was posted in Crafts, Disney and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

What a cool Tshirt project! They are adorable!

2. Posted October 26, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Awesome t-shirts, TFS

3. Posted October 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Great shirts, I love the contrast of the bright blue and the white. Well done for making all those t-shirts! x

• Posted October 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jennifer! I love that contrast too! Probably why these shirts are my favorite! :)

4. Michelle
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

I adore these shirts … can you share where you got the clipart for these? Hopefully, they are files that I might be able to find and use with my Silhouette for our upcoming trip.

Thanks, again, for sharing – they are lovely!!

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks Michelle! I literally just did a google image search for each character and then picked the one I liked. Then I used the trace feature in Sure Cuts A Lot. I don’t know much about Silhouette but I think the process is similar. Hope that helps!

• Michelle
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

You don’t happen to still have the links, for these – specifically – do you? I’ve looked but can’t find these silhouettes. Again, I really do love these shirts!! BTW, starting following you on Pinterest!

• Susan
        Posted March 28, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Can you tell me how you import them into SCAL? They have to converted into a SVG file first don’t they? As you can tell, I’m all new to the SCAL.

• Susan
          Posted March 28, 2013 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Nevermind. I just read up on it and apparently I have an old version of SCAL and it doesn’t have the trace on it.

• Posted March 29, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Oh, I’m so sorry that option isn’t available to you. People without an electronic cutter trace the image and cut it with an exacto knife. Which would obviously take longer but can still be done.

• Posted March 29, 2013 at 7:38 am | Permalink

In my version of SCAL there is a button you click to “add image.” That allows you to add a jpg to trace. All the versions of SCAL I’ve had had that option.

• Susan
            Posted March 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks for getting back to me Monica. Very much appreciated. My version of SCAL is 1.016. I’ve looked and can’t seem to locate a button that says “add image” only “Import SVG file”. I ordered this almost 7 years ?? ago. I tried the trial one. Ordered it. Used it once. Then didn’t get back to it until just recently. Anyway, if I’m missing seeing the button and you know where it is, I’d be forever grateful if you let me know. lol In the meantime I’ve spent countless hours playing with the cricut to use images from there. It’s actually not as hard as it first seemed. For the cartridge “Mickey Fonts” I cut out the heads of the characters. Not blackout or shadow but when it has the cut lines on it and you know where to place the other pieces. Then I cut out certain spots to make a small strip of border and then painted it onto the shirt. For example, Pluto I cut out the center of his ear that hangs over. His pupil. Part of his collar. I think a couple other things. For the most part it was easy to cut out because there were lines to follow. The ear was the most difficult and it wasn’t that bad. I would still like to figure out the SCAL and may possibly just order the new version. I just fear I’ll have it sit for 7 years without using it. lol Thanks again.

5. Terryl
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I was wondering if you’ve ever tried this with the vinyl you can use with the Cricut? I don’t know if it would adhere enough to keep the paint from going underneath it.

• Posted March 6, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

I haven’t ever tried that Terryl. I’ve never used the vinyl at all so I really can’t say. I do know the freezer paper works really well, and it’s quite inexpensive. Hope that helps!

6. Stacy
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

These are cute! We are going to Disney in August. I wonder if you could just spray bleach over the stencil and get almost the same result?

• Posted April 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I’ve read that you can do that Stacy. I’ve never personally tried it though. If you do, I’d love to hear how it comes out!

7. Donna
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Did they wash well? Just wondering. Thanks!

• Posted April 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

They totally washed well. No fading at all. And we’ve worn them a bunch in the last 6 months.

8. Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I LOVE these…I’m a vacation planner and we go to Disney at least once a year, sometimes twice. I would love to make these for my family. I don’t have a cricut…do you know of anyone who sales already cut designs for this purpose?

• Posted May 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Jennifer I don’t know of anyone that sells pre-cut designs. However, you can do it yourself with an exacto knife. Time consuming, but an alternative to an electronic cutter. Hope that helps!

9. Krista
    Posted August 14, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Do you make them for other people? Where I could buy them from you? Thank you!
    Krista

• Posted August 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Sorry Krista! I appreciate your interest but I don’t make them for other people. But I promise this technique is super easy. :)

One Trackback

• [...] For the other Magic Kingdom day we wore these freezer paper stenciled shirts. Which ended up being my favorite shirts, by far! And they are way easier than they look! Seriously! If you have an iron and can smear paint around you can make these shirts! Disney Stencil Shirts [...]