DIY Disney Shirts {Animal Kingdom}

Ok, I’ll admit it. As a scrapbooker I’m always thinking about what my family is wearing when I know I’ll be taking pictures. And our trip to Disney World was no different. 🙂 So I created matching shirts for every day of our trip. Yep, that means I made 20 shirts! Whew! And I plan to show you how I made each and every one! (Check out everything Disney on Scrap Inspired) Today I want to show you our shirts for Animal Kingdom.

I did lots of internet searching for how to create an applique shirt. I consulted this tutorial, this one, and this one as well. Love how much you can learn online!

I loved these bandanas that I found at Hobby Lobby. But they only had 3 bright colors…and I needed 4!

There was a white one as well. So I bought some tumble dye. It worked like a charm! I sprayed my white bandana, tossed it in the dryer and I had my 4th bright colored bandana!

I printed out a Mickey silhouette on regular paper. I sized it a bit larger for the adult shirts and smaller for the children’s.

I placed Heat n Bond on top of the Mickey shape (paper side up) and traced the design onto it.

Once I had them all traced out I rough cut around each shape (not on the lines, outside them).

I ironed each shape onto the backside of each corresponding bandana. Follow the directions on the Heat n Bond.

Once you’ve ironed on the Heat n Bond, cut around the shape (on the lines) to create your Mickey head.

Then peel off the paper backing and place the image where you want it on the shirt.

Following the Heat n Bond directions iron the Mickey head onto your shirt.

Once the Mickey head is ironed onto the front turn the shirt inside out and iron a piece of Reynolds Freezer Paper on the inside. This will act as a stabilizer as you sew around the image.

I set my machine to the zig zag stitch. I used 0.3 and 5 as my settings so that the zig zags would be close together but very wide. That creates the look of applique. Be sure that any time you make a turn that the needle is down in your fabric. That keeps the material from moving around and messing up the looks of your stitches. Just a note I used Heat n Bond Ultra to attach the image to my shirts, because that is what I had. It said not to sew on it, but I did anyway and had no problem.

When I was done stitching all the way around I turned it inside out to peel off the freezer paper. The stitches essentially cut through the paper making it very easy to peel around the inside and outside of the shape.

Once I peeled off the freezer paper there were still bits of it inside the stitches. Don’t worry about that, it will come out in the wash! Then repeat the entire process for each shirt.

I love how bright and colorful these shirts turned out! They really were pretty quick and easy! And you gotta love zebra print for a day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

Supplies (click on images for links to products):

This entry was posted in Crafts, Disney and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Susan DR
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Love your shirts! What a wonderful idea, and thanks for the instructions on hot create them. Your family looked great! With young kids, this is not only perfect for the photos, but in case someone gets separated from the family.

• Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Thanks Susan! It is so true that matching shirts helped keep us all together! Gave me peace of mind! 🙂

2. Posted October 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Fabulous idea. TFS Great pics.

• Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Thanks so much Laura!

3. Posted October 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

That is so clever and they turned out so great!

• Posted October 17, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks Naomi! And it was so easy! Gotta love that!

4. maryann
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I love love love your kinda of crazy. My family along with three other families are going to Disney in October. i want to make some cute stuff for all the kids. But there is never enuff boy stuff. i am going to try out a of your ideas. ???? What did you sent your brother machine zig zag stitch with and length to? thanks so much

• Posted April 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks Maryann! My settings were 0.3 and 5 so that the zig zags would be close together but very wide. Have fun getting crafty for your trip!

5. Shawn
    Posted August 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Love your Animal Kingdom shirts! Would you mind telling me where you got the Mickey shape and what are the dimensions? Thank you so much!!!

6. Posted March 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

cool shirt ~ we are going in Sept. and this will be one of our shirts that I can make. Thanks for the clear instructions!

• Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Yay! Glad you found the tutorial helpful. And have fun on your trip!

7. Caitlin
    Posted July 20, 2015 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Would this still work if I didn’t sew it?

• Posted July 28, 2015 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Yes Caitlin, it would! But you run the risk of the edges fraying over time. Hope that helps!

8. Posted November 24, 2015 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Just made these for our Disney trip! They were so easy, and I am now trying to find other ways to use Heat N Bond. Thank you for the simple way to make our vacation special.

• Posted November 24, 2015 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

So glad you enjoyed the tutorial and your trip! I’d love to see a pic of how your shirts came out. 🙂

2 Trackbacks

• By DIY Disney Shirts {Hollywood Studios and Epcot} on February 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm

[…] My boys are HUGE fans of Jake and the Neverland Pirates and we got to meet him at a character meal on our Hollywood Studios day. Because of that I decided to go with pirate shirts similar to ones I found here and here. To make these shirts I used the exact same process that I did for the Animal Kingdom shirts. […]

• By DIY Disney Shirt Designs - Family Time Getaways on April 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm

[…] Let me start by saying how excited I am to be sharing with you here at Pixie Trips! I’m Monica from Scrap Inspired and I had the opportunity to work with Julie on our recent Disney World vacation. She was simply awesome! So when she asked me to come share with her readers how I crafted my way through Disney World I just had to say yes! Confession time…I got a little bit excited for our trip to Disney World, but didn’t want to spend tons of money on souvenirs. So I decided to make matching shirts for my family to wear…every day…of our 5 days at Disney…that’s 20 shirts…yeah…I’m crazy like that! I made the shirts in secret, wrapped them up, and allowed my boys to open new shirts every morning of our trip. They LOVED getting to rip open their packages each day to see what shirt I had made for them. And they proudly told everyone that Mommy had made our matching shirts! Let me give you a little peek at the DIY Disney shirt madness that went on during our trip. Just in case you want to go DIY crazy like me, I’ve included links to the full tutorials for each shirt! What else could I make for a day at Animal Kingdom than animal print Mickey ears?!? These faux appliquĂ© shirts were super easy, and fun to make! Animal Kingdom Themed Shirts  […]