CoastaGrams {A Pinterest Challenge}

When I saw the third installment of the Pinterest Challenge announced I knew I wanted to participate! I created a project for the summer edition as well as the fall edition. Now I’m back with a project for the winter edition. (winter? what winter?)

I’ve been wanting to make some photo coasters for awhile. As I was searching through Pinterest for inspiration I decided to take a new twist for my photo coasters. I would use Instagram photos  to create my CoastaGrams! Get it? Coasters + Instagram = CoastaGrams. Yep, I’m cheesy like that!

One thing I was sure of, I really didn’t want to make my coasters using tiles as the base. With two boys and a husband that has a tendency to toss coasters onto the table I knew tile could be disastrous! I wanted the much less breakable cork version for my CoastaGrams (you may be rolling your eyes, but I think my title is pretty catchy). 🙂

• Design Inspiration: When I saw these coasters (originally from here) I knew I wanted to create something similar. I didn’t follow her tutorial exactly though. I combined tips from several different blogs to create my coasters.

I actually had some trouble finding these cork coasters. The tile ones are EVERYWHERE but cork not so much. In the end I paid $5 for this set of 6 coasters.

I printed out 6 photos. Some taken in Instagram, others imported into Instagram so I could apply the filters. Originally I intended to use the Instagram frame that comes with this particular filter. But they printed a smidge too big and I didn’t want to use the ink to print them again. So I just trimmed the frame off. I was a bit sad to loose that design element, because that is part of what made them look so Instagram-ish but in the end my penny pinching ways won out. The coasters have rounded corners, but at this stage of the game I just left my photo corners on (I’ll trim them later).

I used Mod Podge to attach my photos to the coasters. I put a layer on the coaster and a layer on the back of the photo. Then I stuck the two together.

I flipped the coaster over and added some pressure. Be careful because the photo and coaster can slide around a bit.

Allow the coasters to dry for 15-20 minutes before moving to the next step.

Once the coasters were dry I trimmed off the corners.

Now my coasters are ready to be sealed. Some people use Mod Podge to seal the top of their coasters. I didn’t want to do that for a couple of reasons. I don’t actually think that Mod Podge (since it’s water soluble) would keep the photos protected from a sweating glass. Also, Mod Podge leaves little lines when it dries and I wanted a smooth clear top. So I used Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating which is moisture resistant. (recommended for use with tile/photo coasters here) I sprayed 3 light and even coats allowing it to dry 10 minutes in between each coat. I made sure that as I was spraying I also got the edges because I want to be sure all areas of the photo are protected.

After waiting 24 hours I had these shiny beautiful coasters! Look how glossy they turned out! And here they are all together…

Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at my CoastaGrams! Want to see more of my crafty inspiration? Follow me on Pinterest! Or if you like scrappy/photography/crafty goodness you can follow my blog, follow me on twitter, or on facebook! For more Pinterest Challenge creations head on over to Young House Love and check out all the links!

Supplies:
Click on the image for links to the products (coasters and brushes are similar but not exact)

This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Beth
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

I love how you are linking to the products you use now. I may get creative one day and now I know where to look in order to make some of the stuff you do! 🙂

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Thanks sis! Although, if you want to get creative someday you could probably just come over and use my stuff. 🙂

2. Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Wow! They look GREAT!!! I need some coasters…maybe I’ll give these a try. Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Thanks Christa! They were pretty easy to make. I’d love to see yours if you try it out!

3. Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Oh…stopping by from YHL. 🙂

4. Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

This is an awesome idea! Instagram pictures are like the perfect shape for this too. I might just have to do something like this myself!

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

You totally should Brandi! And if you do, link us up so we can see your version!

5. Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

This is a fun idea. I’m always looking for ways to show off more pictures of my cute baby. I think Grandma and Grandpa will need a set of these for Christmas. Mind if I “pin” your project myself?

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Thanks! And of course you can Jill! There’s a pin it button on the bottom of the post!

6. Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

What a cute idea! I have glass coasters right now and they are kind of annoying so I can’t wait to possibly do this one day!

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks! If you end up making your own version I’d love to see them!

7. Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Makes me want to use coasters! 🙂 I better get better furniture so that I need them! 🙂

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Ha! Maybe you could use fancy coasters to fancy up your furniture… 😉

8. Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

They turned out great! I think these would make great gifts for the grandmothers for Mother’s Day. And I am also addicted to Instagram.

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Monica! They would totally make great Mother’s Day gifts!! I may have to do something like this for my Mom for Mother’s Day. 🙂

9. Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

What a fun idea!! Definitely want to try this. Thanks for sharing.

~Danielle

10. Posted March 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Using Pinterest and Instagram for good! Win, win!

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I know, right?!? 🙂

11. Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

These are such cool coasta-grams!!! Very fun, Monica! My girls have been capturing unique pics on Instagram. This would definitely be a good project for them! 🙂

• Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jen! I bet they’d love making something like this!

12. Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

I love how shiny they are – very nice job! One year at school I made tile ones with the kids and they are heavy so you were right about going with a different material. Thanks for visiting my blog today 🙂 I went back and edited my post to add details about each picture. And I printed it so I should have a LO sometime in the near(er) future – bonus!

• Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Oh man, I can just imagine all those kids with tile weapons in their backpacks! 🙂 Ha Ha!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

13. Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

These are absolutely adorable! Totally love the tutorial and might just make some of these soon! 🙂

• Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Thanks Jennifer! They are super easy too! If you make some I’d love a link so I can come see! 🙂

14. Posted March 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Cute! Thanks for joining up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

Erin

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Thanks Erin for stopping by!

2 Trackbacks

• By Top 10 of 2012 on December 31, 2012 at 7:04 am

[…] #4 | Coastagrams {A Pinterest Challenge} […]

• By Washi Drawers {A Pinterest Challenge} on March 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

[…] of the Pinterest Challenge! In the past I’ve made word canvas art, a T-shirt  scarf, and photo coasters. I was excited to find a new project to […]