25 Books of Christmas

Awhile back Ali Edwards mentioned that she was going to wrap up 25 books and read one each night in December leading up to Christmas. SUCH A COOL IDEA! When I left teaching I brought all my books home with me. Many of them were still in storage in the basement. So I pulled them out and counted them up. I’ve got 20 that I want to use, and plan to buy 5 new ones to add to the collection.

I wanted a way to disguise the books and turn this into a Christmas countdown. And I wanted something that I could use from year to year.

I found these light weight bags at Hobby Lobby. They didn’t have enough for my project, but I bought them out and got started anyway.

I didn’t want the bags to have handles so I cut them off.

I folded down the top like a flap and stamped numbers on each bag. I used Staz On ink so that I wouldn’t have to worry about it smearing.

In the bottom corner I stamped a sentiment. I used a variety of Ali Edwards Technique Tuesday stamps.

On each bag I alternated ink colors. If the numbers are red I used black for the sentiment and vice versa.

Then for a bit of decoration I added a strip of ribbon across the front of the flap.

I stitched each ribbon on. I did fold under the end of each ribbon to help keep it from fraying.

So if the bag is laying the way it’s meant to be (imagine the handles were still at the top) The number and ribbon are at the top, but upside down because I fold this part over.

The other side has only the sentiment stamp. Once the book is inside the bag I simply fold down the top.

In the end the bag looks like this. Here are the ones I have done so far. Once I find more bags and finish them I’ll show you the rest.

A few of my books are small board books. So I decided to cut one of the bags in half.

I then turned it inside out and stitched up the cut side to create two smaller bags.

I bought a magazine basket at Target to hold all 25 books. I have the basket sitting next to the fireplace.

I can just imagine curling up next to the fire reading a new book each night. I’m so looking forward to starting this new tradition! Thanks Ali for the idea!!

What holiday traditions are you most excited about this season?

This entry was posted in Tutorials and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this idea, too, but I’m not wrapping them like an countdown calendar. I just pulled all the Christmas/Winter/Hanukkah children’s books we own and placed them in a basket under the tree. My daughter has since added many other books. She doesn’t quite understand they are supposed to be winter-themed. Oh well. I am glad they are pulled together so we can read about the season during the actual season.

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I thought about doing it that way too. But had the creative bug. 🙂 Have fun with your new holiday tradition!

2. Ruby
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Love this idea, what a wonderful tradition to start!

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ruby! I can’t wait for Dec 1st! 🙂

3. Krystyn
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

What a gorgeous project you put together!! I am truly inspired!!! <3 it!!

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Ah, thanks so much Krystyn!

4. SusanB
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Love the bags ~ looks like a lot of work too! I’m sure your family will love this new tradition.

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks Susan! It actually wasn’t too bad since the bags were already made. I just embellished. 🙂 And that’s half the fun!

5. Kelli P.
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

So cute, Monica! Thanks for sharing on the ScrapHappy chat!!! Love it!

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kelli! Nice chatting with you! 🙂

2 Trackbacks

• By Countdown to Christmas | ChildhoodSpirituality.com on December 2, 2011 at 7:33 am

[…] I love decorating for Christmas. And I enjoy the idea of advent calendars. This year I’ve decided to countdown in a different way. As a former teacher I have LOTS children’s books. Many of which are still in boxes in my basement. I decided to pull out my favorite Christmas/holiday books. Some are secular and some are religious. I discovered that I had 20 holiday books. If I purchase 5 more I’ll have enough to create a new kind of countdown. The 25 books of Christmas! My plan is that each night we will sit down and read one of these books. Since we read every night anyway this should be an easy thing to do. You could simply wrap each book and place them in a basket. I wanted this to become a yearly tradition so I created these bags. If you’d like to know how I made them, I posted a tutorial here. […]

• By Layout of Leftovers | ScrapInspired.com on December 9, 2011 at 7:17 am

[…] I made the bags for 25 books of Christmas I cut off the handles. That left me with about 50 strips of fabric. I just couldn’t see […]